In the pretty village of Etal lies the ruins of a small 14th-century castle in what was once a strategic border location. It fell to James IV’s invading Scottish army and was partially destroyed shortly before his defeat at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. A military presence was maintained here until the Union of the Crowns in 1603 when James VI of Scotland acceded to the English throne. Etal Castle is managed by English Heritage.
Dogs welcome on a lead.
Etal Castle is now closed for the season, reopening Spring 2024