For those unfamiliar with Steampunk, it is a worldwide subculture of creative people who embrace a combination of science fiction and Victorian style – it involves a whole lot of dressing up, meeting new and interesting people and generally being lovely!
So what's planned?
Current performers at Airship Northstar:
"Scallywags, Rapscallions and Rogues, A Dark Cabaret":
Hosted by the incredible Jezebel Steele - Featuring music from the amazing Montague Jacques Fromage and the Steampunk Funk Bizarre, Dale Rowles of BB Blackdog, Gurdybird and Victor and the Bully - including performances by Miss on Trapp, The Steampunk Angels, Scarlet Butterfly, Titi von Tranz, Fleur Noire and the spectacular Pixie Le Knot! (as seen on Game of Thrones).
"The Captain's Party":
Full sets from Metropolis, The Dark Design, Kiss Like Ether, Little Red Dog, The Wattingers, Birthrite and the North East's own Driven Serious
In the afternoon it's "The Grand Lounge": a time to chill out and reflect on/recover from the rest of the weekend - the stage will be opened up to anyone who wants to perform - amateurs, professionals who just fancy a jam, and up and coming musicians and performers who just want to showcase a little of what they do
Over the whole weekend
As well as everything the Ford & Etal Estates can offer, there'll also be:
- A large market of steampunk and alternative goods of all kinds, along with a wide range of hand-made items
- The Grand Exhibition of Automata at Lady Waterford Hall – a rarely seen and extensive collection of working automata and Victorian technology
- Ichabod Steam's Animatronic Steampunk Band performing their Steampunk musical, Tom Slatter will be performing at Lady Waterford Hall too
- Try your hand at the Victorian martial art Bartitsu or just watch a demonstration of The Bartitsu Amatuer Forum's amazing skills
- Visit the Time Travelling Tea Tent, pop in to see the amazing workmanship on the Campenarti – half caravan, half mobile steampunk art exhibit
- Enjoy food and drink at our Steampunk bar and delicious food from some of the best stalls in the North East.
- Sunday afternoon is 'Crafternoon Tea', a forum for steampunk makers featuring talks and presentations from fellow makers and guest speakers. There will be competitions of all kinds over the weekend too...and more!
Airship Northstar wristbands can also be used to qualify for discounts at several local companies and attractions, including Heatherslaw Mill, Heatherslaw Light Railway, Etal Castle and Woody's Taxis – up to date information on discounts and more details of the event itself can be found on the Facebook event page
It's going to be a splendid weekend! To buy tickets for the event, click here to go to the dedicated web page.